Maintaining a version system for any project is one of the most crucial aspect. Hybris projects are not special in this regard. They also do have the same life cycle in terms of development. We need to maintain different environments like SIT, UAT etc. To provide a local development environment is also equally important.
Since the size of OOB Hybris is huge, it is difficult to put everything in SVN (or GIT). Also it is not advisable. The hybris is improvising every day. A new release should not give us pain in terms of development.
The best practice for versioning a hybris project could be:
- Put only custom folder, containing customized extensions to versioning software.
- Pass latest local.properties, localextensions locally to each developers.
- Maintain copy of latest local.properties, localextensions in each of servers like development and SIT, UAT etc.
- Hybris software is wrapped around custom folder on each environment.
- Media folder could possibly in SVN or can be passed locally like property files.
- production environment, normally is not connected to SVN. Rather we take the most stable copy from UAT and deploy it using some deployment tool like , bamboo.